Earl the McNab

Earl the McNab
Earl the Mcnab

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Incredible, Instinctive Nurturing Nature of the McNab

Molly McNab and Mattie-Kate Papillon
Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller

When I decided we'd add a puppy to our furred family, I was apprehensive.  I've had Papillons (or a Papillon-Chihuahua cross) for nearly 20 years, and I've always had large dogs at the same time; yet this time, I worried. Our young McNab, Molly, had just turned six months old -- and what a bundle of happy, energetic, persistent puppy-ness she is. Whereas Earl the McNab is more sensitive and retreating, Molly is spunky and unsinkable.  She'll tease and cajole, be it her humans, her horses or her cats. She herds the cats and the horses and she "rounds up" her favorite things.  I was concerned she'd be too energetic and careless around a puppy as small as a Papillon and that she'd trample the new pup beneath her feet like the tiny butterfly Mattie-Kate is.

Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller


Too, I worried about my relationship with Molly.  We're close.  I work from home and I'm here with my critters close to constantly. Molly is ever at my side; as I type, she's sleeping behind my chair. At night, when I'm in the tub, she's either on the bath mat or sleeping at the doorway. She's at my side when I do the livestock chores and she's my companion when I'm having an afternoon nap.  Perhaps a hundred times a day she gives me those ecstatic, loving kisses she delights in -- her paws on my lap, maybe on my shoulders if I'm kneeling to greet her, covering  me in affection.  I love that darned dog and I didn't want anything to change our mutual adoration.



Finally, I was concerned that the strong personality of a Papillon -- and make no mistake, they have huge and courageous personalities for small dogs -- would clash with Molly's big personality.  Molly's resilient, physically and mentally tough, and perhaps a tad bit domineering. She bowls Earl over physically and emotionally. She bowls me over with her joie d'vivre and her happy-go-lucky nature. Sometimes she'll get snarly when Earl or Froggy the cat approaches her dish.  I wondered how she'd accept a tiny, vulnerable pup. Would she snap at her when the puppy tried to play with her toys?  Would she growl when she approached Molly's dish?

Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller
And then we brought Mattie-Kate home after nine long days of waiting with alternating excitement and apprehension.  Molly greeted the fluff ball with cautious curiosity, perhaps a bit abashed.  Then, something wonderful happened: Molly, just a puppy herself, took Mattie under her wing.  She began gently playing with her, wrestling carefully on the bed just as Earl had wrestled with Molly four months ago.  Just as Earl had done, she brought her favorite toys to Mattie and gently bumped them against Mattie's nose.  As Mattie gave her what-for, leaping at Molly and snapping playfully at her cheeks and muzzle, Molly became more comfortable playing with her.  Soon she was pinning her down with one paw, grinning from ear to ear, and licking her.  When Mattie began to grab Molly's tail -- hard -- with her little barracuda teeth, Molly looked alarmed -- for about two seconds.  Now she just wags and turns circles.

Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller
Molly not only didn't snarl when Mattie joined her at feeding time, but she lets Mattie eat out of the same dish at the same time.  Mattie, of course, prefers doing that to eating out of her Mattie-sized "princess" dish, even though the food is the same.

What's most amazing, though, is how protective our young Mollster has become of her little pal.  She keeps her in constant sight when we're in the backyard, often touching her with her nose.  When Mattie is sleeping, Molly quietly and tenderly touches her muzzle with her own nose, smelling that puppy breath.  When Froggy the petulant ginger-cat approaches (and Froggy still has not accepted Mattie), Molly steps between them and chases Froggy away.  Crate-training has not been easy with Mattie -- and when she shrieks that special Papillon banshee-shreik, Molly consoles her through the openings in the crate.

It is rare we raise our voices to our dogs.  McNabs are sensitive and don't require scolding; a simple "no" in a conversational tone can be devastating to them. Now that I'm teaching Mattie, I can barely utter a quiet, "No, Mattie" without having Molly bolt between us and lick my face, wiggling in protective concern.  Russ calls her our "police dog" because she intervenes in any conflict, real or perceived, trying to protect her little Pap sister.  Mattie isn't just Moll's playmate; she's more like Molly's own puppy.

It's as if my puppy Molly grew up overnight. Suddenly she's more serious, more focused. I didn't expect that, even from a dog from such good working stock.  Neither did I expect this dynamic:  Earl is depressed, feeling left out.  Just a few days ago, HE was Molly's mentor and protector.  Nightly, they played tug of war and wrestled before snuggling bed with us.  Now, Molly is turning to Mattie for her playtime.  The paw is on the other foot.  Earl's not happy about it.

Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller 
We're spending more time engaging Earl (and Froggy the cat) until the household normalizes.  Meanwhile, Molly happily shares her boundless affection with the new arrival.  I've marveled many times at how protective our Mcnabs are:  how, when we walk, Earl waits for the person or dog in the rear to catch up and will wait behind if they stop.  Now I marvel again, watching this solid, bounding Molly puppy babysit the tiny handful of a Papillon.  Not only do I no longer worry about Molly behaving aggressively towards the feisty fur ball, but I know that when Molly is on the job, no one else is going to hurt little Mattie.

Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller
And is that any wonder, after all?  These dogs were bred for generations to work livestock and, to some degree, to "train" and nurture the rookie cattle dogs beside them.  Bred selectively for rounding up wilder cattle on rugged land, they carefully ensure they've located and brought in the cattle hiding in thickets of brush well away from the herd.  It shouldn't surprise me that the same traits are reflected in their relationships with their humans and canine counterparts.  When Earl waits for me when we're walking the fence line, it's this innate trait that emerges -- leave no one behind.

Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller


Copyright © 2014 MJ Miller
Amazing dogs, these McNabs.  How blessed we are to have them in our lives.


Copyright © 2014 * All rights reserved * No part of this article may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the express permission of the author * Links to this page, however, are encouraged and may be freely shared * Thank you for linking, liking, loving, sharing, forwarding, +1'ing and tweeting and otherwise helping grow my readership -- and most of all, thank you for stopping by.





No comments:

Post a Comment